About This Course
This course is free for members of the Administrators in Graduate and Professional Student Services KC. For more information about pricing (and how to make sure you're getting the appropriate discount), please read below the course description.
How do you create an event for the Martin Luther King Symposium that is engaging, different, builds tradition, and gives students an immersive and valuable educational experience? Although this may seem like a tall order, The Rackham Graduate School at the University of Michigan has created an event that checks all those boxes.
The King Talks were created to meet graduate student demand for opportunities to develop robust public speaking skills. Based on the annual theme for the MLK Symposium at the University of Michigan, King Talks give students the opportunities to present 11-13 minute TED style talks that blends their passion and their research in a format that is both entertaining and educational. Now in its second year, this live briefing will present the process used to recruit and train speakers, build campus partnerships, and create a memorable annual event. Preliminary data from participants as well as lessons learned will also be shared.
By participating in this session, attendees will:
- understand how a communal experience deepens connection to campus for graduate students; and
- learn practical strategies for helping graduate students integrate Theory research and communication skills.
Knowledge Community Pricing
Members of the Administrators in Graduate and Professional Student Services KC will be able to register for this course for free through January 4, 2019. Once you register, you will always have access to the content.
To ensure that you receive the appropriate pricing for the course, you must be a member of NASPA, and also a member the KC listed above. You will see the correct price in your cart once you click on "Take this Course."
If the price does not come up as free for you, please take the following steps:
- DO NOT complete your registration. We will not issue refunds once you have completed the purchase of the course.
- Login to naspa.org by clicking the blue "Login" button in the center of the page.
- Scroll until you see the grey sidebar on the right hand side of the screen and the link to "View My Personal Snapshot."
- Confirm that your membership is still active (there will be a link to join or renew if it is not).
- Click on "Edit My Profile" and scroll down the page until you get to "NASPA Engagement Details."
- You will see the KCs that you are currently a member of; if your membership to the Administrators in Graduate and Professional Student Services KC is not listed, please add it.
- Click "Save" at the bottom of the page.
Accessing the Presentation
Once you complete your registration, you will be able to access the course by clicking on the "Login" button at the top of this page (or any page on olc.naspa.org).
You will be asked to login with your NASPA user name and password. Once you have done so, you will hit continue and be redirected to your dashboard in the Online Learning Community.
You will find the session listed under "Enrolled."
This session is recorded. By clicking into, "Contents," you will find the session recording, resources, and PowerPoint slides. You may view the materials as many times as you'd like, at whatever pace you would like.
If you have any difficulty accessing the materials, please contact Jace Kirschner (firstname.lastname@example.org).