About This Course
This course is free for members of the Student Career Development KC. For more information about pricing (and how to make sure you're getting the appropriate discount), please read below the course description.
The Student Leadership Competencies (Seemiller, 2014) is a body of research that provides a common language of leadership for students, staff, faculty, and employers. Learn some best practices of how this language can be implemented throughout a campus, which can help your students express their career readiness to employers more effectively.
Competencies are a collection of knowledge, skills, and abilities that demonstrates if someone is affective at certain tasks. Since they are able to be learned and measured, competency models are often used in co-curricular programs to help create student learning outcomes. The Student Leadership Competencies is a body of research that is analyzed the learning outcomes in all 522 accredited academic programs in higher education. It creates a common language of leadership that can be understood by students, staff, faculty, and employers.
There are many resources available for institutions of higher education to be able to start using this language in a consistent manner, which will ultimately help students be able to express their career readiness to employers more effectively. This session will introduce participants to the competency development, where it fits in the intentional change theory model, provide an overview of the Student Leadership Competencies research/resources, and share best practices of how to implement using these competencies across campus. Examples of how they were implemented at the program, department, and divisional level will be shared. The presenter will discuss how to create buy-in from students and staff as well as provide resources that can be shared during that process.
Through this live briefing, participants will:
- gain and understanding of competency development;
- be exposed to Seemiller's Student Leadership Competencies;
- know why changing their current language to the language used in the Student Leadership Competencies will help employers understand student’s abilities better; and
- be provided examples of different methods to incorporate and have students utilize this language.
Knowledge Community Pricing
Members of the Student Career Development KC will be able to register for this course for free through May 10, 2018. Once you register, you will always have access to the content.
To ensure that you receive the appropriate pricing for the course, you must be a member of NASPA, and also a member of the Student Career Development KC. You will see the correct price in your cart once you click on "Take this Course."
If the price does not come up as free for you, please take the following steps:
- DO NOT complete your registration. We will not issue refunds once you have completed the purchase of the course.
- Login to naspa.org by clicking the blue "Login" button in the center of the page.
- Scroll until you see the grey sidebar on the right hand side of the screen and the link to "View My Personal Snapshot."
- Confirm that your membership is still active (there will be a link to join or renew if it is not).
- Click on "Edit My Profile" and scroll down the page until you get to "NASPA Engagement Details."
- You will see the KCs that you are currently a member of; if your membership to the Student Career Development KC is not listed, please add it.
- Click "Save" at the bottom of the page.
Accessing the Presentation
Once you complete your registration, you will be able to access the course by clicking on the "Login" button at the top of this page (or any page on olc.naspa.org).
You will be asked to login with your NASPA user name and password. Once you have done so, you will hit continue and be redirected to your dashboard in the Online Learning Community.
You will find the session listed under "Enrolled."
Live session access information will be listed before the session has aired.
All sessions are recorded. Once the session is over, the recording will be available approximately one week after the air date. You may view the materials as many times as you'd like, at whatever pace you would like.
If you have any difficulty accessing the materials, please contact Jace Kirschner (email@example.com).